Thursday, July 15, 2010

Kimono Shopping Online: Two Words to Watch Out For

When shopping online for kimono, you're likely to run across a host of Japanese terms, two of which can lead to an unpleasant surprise if you don't know them: "karieba" かりえば and "karinui" かりぬい.

These words mean the same thing: a kimono that has been basted into the final shape but has not actually been sewn. If you buy a karieba/karinui kimono, you'll have to sew it together yourself or find a seamstress to do it for you.

A visual giveaway for a karieba kimono is that the sleeves will often in photos seem very square down along the bottoms, rather than the more rounded edges you see on women's kimono and the very rounded edges you see on furisode, young women's kimono. Below is a karieba furisode followed by a finished one: take a look at the sleeve bottoms to see the difference.



Photos copyright Ichiroya and used with permission.

1 comment:

Just Because You Don't See Him, Doesn't Mean He Doesn't Exist said...

Thanks for your information!
I bought a karieba furisode because I had a one of a kind chance to find a pretty one suitable for my body dimensions (I guess it's really hard to find a nice and cute inexpensive furisode to wear if you're 170 cm and 120 kg :/) and now I have to deal with the necessity of finding a good seamstress around my tiny town... It was tacked together very poorly but my mom who would do anything to help me fixed the tacking enough for me to be able to wear it for my birthday.
Once again thank you for the tips, I'm sure many potential kimono buyers will find that useful!