Sunday, July 11, 2010

Yukata Project Results

My "yukata from scratch" experiment is finished! I don't feel confident enough to create a pattern for others to follow, but I will say that it can be done. :) In lieu of that I'd recommend Folkwear's kimono pattern. The fabric is a Japanese-print cotton I picked up on sale at JoAnn's, and the yukata took 4 yards at $6 per yard.



The final result is a yukata that I feel would be ok for a costume or possibly Japanese festival, but the cotton is smoother and drapes more than traditional yukata cotton. So to a trained eye, it's apparent the yukata is a homemade one and can't truly pass for a real one. However, for costuming purposes it's not a bad deal at the $24 I spent on it.

Courtney grabbed a few snapshots of me in the finished product, which I'm mostly happy with in terms of sewing save the wobbly collar. The adorable doggy is our neighbor's: he's single-handedly converted me to future Shih Tsu ownership.





No comments: